Saturday, October 3, 2009

Stephen Hawking Is Making His Comeback


The article called "Stephen Hawking is Making His Comeback," by Tim Folger was very interesting. I learned a lot of information about Stephen Hawking that I've never known before. He had a lot of scientific information and a lot of biographical information that made it a very educating read. Overall, it was a very extensively researched article that was still interesting to read. Yet, I must grade the overall structure of the article.

The lede was very entertaining. It was like Folger was comparing Hawking to a rock star. I almost thought I was reading about a rock star. Yet, it wasn't punchy at all. It moved slowly and was more like reading a book than an article. So I give the lede a 16/20.

The content was perfect. He had so much information about Stephen Hawking. The reader learned about his disease, his early days, his studies, even his personality. The writer interviewed people, so we got a bit more of a background of who Stephen Hawking is. I noticed he didn't interview Mr. Hawking himself. Yet, I think that actually works out for what the writer was trying to say. He gets a 20/20 for this one.

The writing was quite good. It was very interesting to read and it kept me in the entire time. However, I thought a large part of the article was subjective. I could easily see the writer's opinion when he was writing about Hawking's life. I was thinking that Folger was definitely a fan of Hawking as I read through the article. Folger receives a 15/20 for this.

Folger explained the science of the article very well. I wasn't at all confused. I didn't see any jargon throughout the piece. I learned a lot from what he wrote, so he must have explained it very well since I wasn't confused. The science was put together very well. I could understand what he was trying to say about black holes and the universe. Folger receives a 20/20 for this.

The final grade for this writer is a 71/80. Very good job Mr. Folger.

No comments:

Post a Comment